There are many opportunities for foreign nationals to come to the United States either on a permanent or temporary visa. An example of a temporary visa is the O Visa.
Who is Eligible for the O Visa?
You are eligible for this visa if you possess extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics.
This visa is also available to individuals who have demonstrated a record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and have been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements.
What are the Qualifications for the O Visa?
In order to qualify for an O-1 visa, you must demonstrate extraordinary ability by sustained national or international acclaim and must be coming temporarily to the United States to continue work in the area of extraordinary ability. Extraordinary ability has been defined in the fields of science, education, business or athletics as a level of expertise indicating that the person is one of a small percentage who has risen to the very top of their field of endeavor.
In order to demonstrate international recognition and extraordinary ability in the business or sciences, you, the O-1 visa applicant, may provide evidence that you are the winner of an internationally-recognized award, such as a Nobel Prize, or by demonstrating at least three of the following:
- Internationally or nationally recognized prizes or awards
- Published material about your work
- Membership in an association that requires members to have outstanding achievement
- Original scientific, scholarly, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field
- Authorship of scholarly articles published in any type of major media or professional journals
- High salary or any other type of compensation
- Participation on a panel, or as a judge for other people’s works
- Evidence of past employment for organizations or establishments that have a high reputation
To demonstrate international recognition and extraordinary ability in the arts and motion pictures and television, you may also provide evidence that you are the winner of an internationally-recognized award, such as an Academy Award or a Grammy, or by demonstrating at least three of the following:
- Lead or starring role for productions or events with distinguished reputations
- National or International recognition demonstrated by published material about your work
- Lead, starring, or critical role for organizations or establishments with distinguished reputation
- Record of major commercial or critically acclaimed success
- Significant recognition for achievements from organizations, critics, government agencies, or other recognized experts in the field
- High salary in relation to others in the field
- If the above standards do not readily apply then you may submit comparable evidence to establish your eligibility
Do You Need Help Applying for the O Visa?
This is a very brief summary of the O Visa process and it is imperative that you review all of the requirements of this particular visa before submitting your application. You can contact us to learn more about the O Visa process.